Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Oats, Berries and Sugar, Oh My!

I've decided to start eating right . . . . . at least in the mornings.  No, it's not a resolution (ya never know when your promise to yourself decides to elude you).  It is however an honest attempt to better my health.  I've discovered if you LOVE (not just LIKE) something that is very good for you, you will be more likely to stick with it.  I like oatmeal.  I like blueberries.  I like blueberry syrup. I'm okay with brown sugar.  But ~ put them together and VOILA!  ~ instant LOVE!   So, let's see:  Whole Grain, check ~ Fiber, check ~ Dark fruit with antioxidants, check ~ a little sweetness, check!
And, the truly best part of all ~ it takes about three whole minutes ~ three!  One to get it together and two to nuke!  Win ~ Win, I say! (And cheap)



I don't nuke the syrup and the blueberries.  I drizzle maybe a teaspoon of syrup over the cooked oatmeal (that already has about a "loose" tablespoon of brown sugar in it) and then toss in some berries!   Life is good.  Oh, and the OJ ~ can't forget that.  It gives me the Vitamin C and, honestly, some unwanted calories, but, I don't have to squeeze the real deal ~ maybe when I'm "childless" and have hours of that elusive continuum known as time on my hands I shall squeeze my own juice and avoid those few extra calories ~ maybe.  :)




Oatmeal sticks to my ribs.  I find I don't graze during the morning, and in all honesty, I'm barely hungry at lunch time.  I didn't find this to be the case with cereal or even instant oatmeal.  So here's to hanging on to something wonderful that is wonderfully good for me.  Kudos to nature and her bounty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........