Friday, September 17, 2010

Anthology Book.

Last night as we are finishing homework, I tell Helena to get her Reading book. It is laying amongst a mess she has scattered in the floor.
It's been a long afternoon. She wants to Dilly-dally, Rease wants to be Chatty Cathy, and Piper wants her bottle.

So, as I ask Miss Dilly-dally a second time to retrieve her Reading book, she looks and me. . . and. . . .here we go:

Miss Dilly-dally: "Why?"
Me: "Because you have Reading homework. Now get your Reading book." She is looking at me like I have five eyes.
Miss Dilly-dally: "I don't have a Reading book." (see where this is going?)
Me: "Helena, it's right THERE!" (as I'm pointing to said book in middle of clutter)

Chatty Cathy is watching this unfold. Piper is drooling out the side of her mouth. I can feel Ben watching. All eyes are on this little drama that is unfolding.

Miss Dilly-dally, as she picks up the book in question: "This is my Anthology book."
Me: "Anthology book ? ? ?" Do I look confused? Yes? Well, it's because I am.
Miss Dilly-dally: "Yep. That's what my teacher calls it."

Well shut my mouth and knock me over with a feather.
Chatty Cathy is grinning. I look up and Ben is standing a the other end of the table grinning louder and pointing his finger at me. And to make me feel better: says he: "It's okay mom. I only know what it is because of literature." He proceeds to explain to his mom that an Anthology book is a compilation of short stories.

Now, since when do six year old first graders call their Reading books Anthology books? Hm?
Since they have a teacher that calls them that. And we all know, what Teacher says. . . . .
I can hear it now: "Okay class. Get out your Anthology books and turn to page . . . .".

Just humor me here. Does this not say "Reading"? Does it not?



Where are the good ol' days? Where?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........