Friday, July 19, 2013

To Whom Much is Given, Much is Required

I've never had a verse stick in my head for so long.  About a week or so ago, totally out of the blue, there it was and here it still is.  I've tried to ignore it, but it just won't go away.

I remember the first time this verse was ministered to me for my benefit.  I was struggling with the financial responsibility imposed upon me by someone who had asked me to care for something.  Not that I minded caring for this item, mind you, I just didn't think all the financial burden should be mine. It agitated me, to say the least.  As I was pleading my case to Pastor Gore, he, in his infinite wisdom, shared this verse with me.  At least the second half:

Luke 12:48b ~ "But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes.  For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to  whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." 

I got it! We weren't wealthy, but we weren't dirt poor either.  I could take care of that item.  I just felt imposed upon.  But understanding changed how I looked at the situation and I carried on.  God's Word is so clear.  Can I hear an "Amen"?

That was many years ago.  Things  have changed drastically for us here at the ol' home place.  We're not in the same boat we were in then.  As a matter of fact, our boat is more like a dingey these days.  We have no available green stuff.  Our home is bursting at the seams with kids and grandies, so space is nil. Hours in the day and days in the week are short and full.  I'm not sure what God is asking me to give. I don't know what I could possibly have that I can give or that anyone would need,  but He wants me to.  I know He does because this verse will not leave my head alone.  Will.  Not.  Clear.  As. A.  Bell. (not clear what I'm suppose to give, but clear that I'm to give something)

So I'm left pondering this verse and my responsibility to it. I am listening, I am looking, I am waiting.
What to do, what to do?

Aaron?   Hur?  

2 comments:

  1. You have been given the amazing opportunity of daily input into your grandies lives. What are you doing in their lives to impact them for the Lord? Are you living your life in such a way that they see God in you? Are you instilling habits, character traits and I things that will help them throughout the rest of their lives to walk in the Lord's paths. What about church? Are you teaching them the importance of church and taking our mess to the other messy people at church and helping them through their messes by focusing on the Word? You HAVE been given much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Heidi...you have a house full of big AND little people.& that is no little claim. Do they see for Whom you stand ? Do they know what is important in your life & thus in their lives as well?
    I am humbled at those very same thoughts in my life..Do my kids truly see Christ in me? Money or lack of it will not never take the place of priceless children & grandchildren & the impact any of us have on them. Awesome responsibility..to say the least..
    Just a thought .....VBS begins at Fellowship Aug 4th with a program for teens to be ministered to as well as for primary aged ones. Think about bringing your gals over & maybe you can have some time at this end of town..by yourself? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........