Monday, June 24, 2013

Land of "The Lorax"



A couple weeks ago I ran  across a deal on Hibiscus trees.  They normally run around $25.00 to $30.00.  ~ the reason as to why I don't buy them.  To me that's a bit pricey for something you may not be able to nurse through the winter.  But, now, at $10.00 I can and will do that.  So do that I did.  I purchased two of them for my deck.  Yay for me! 

As much as I loved them, they looked  . . . . naked.  All exposed in those pots.  Something had to be done.  It was bugging me.  So I Googled ~  "companion plants for Hibiscus trees", and true to Google's form, it led me all over the universe to look at other tropical plants, but, not really answering my question.

A trip to my favorite local roadside nursery was in order.  Off I go with babes in tow  ~  tee-hee.
Pickin's were slim, it's a little late in the season, but they did have some things I could use. And I had to plant my strawberry pots as well. Each pot has nine cups, meaning I had to buy thirty-six little plants.  Adding that to the companions for my Hibiscus trees I thought I might have to leave one of the kiddos as payment!   Good thing they were on sale.  As we were meandering the isle Goldilocks spied some feathery looking Cock's Comb.  Mom-mom, she says, don't these remind you of The Lorax?  Well, yes, yes they do!  Into the flat they went!  I had my companions!  Through the eyes of a child ~ we should all live there!

 
 
Off we go.  I. Am. Stoked!   Got my stuff planted this weekend.  I like how it turned out.  During Reasy Peacey's birthday party Colin told Kelly that the plants in my Hibiscus pots reminded him of The Lorax.  Say what?  Seems some of us do live through the eyes of a child!  He said they felt like feathers ~ um. . . you touchin' my plants Dude?   He must be a hands on kinda kid! 
 
 


I am so glad I got them.  I never really thought about planting through the eyes of a child, but this year, can I  say,  my eyes were opened in a whole new way.  So now I have a little, very little, Lorax field on my deck.  I love how it turned out.  I am glad I didn't "poo-poo" Goldilocks's vision.  I'm glad I let her be my eyes.  I'm glad, I'm glad, I'm glad.

So, what do you think?   Does this remind YOU of  The Lorax?  Would you plant a Lorax field in your pots?  I hope so!




I will leave you with this.  I don't know why I like it, but it sort of ends my wordy little Lorax post!

1 comment:

  1. Hibiscus make me want to go to Hawaii. I don't even know if they have them there they just look so wonderfully tropical. You got a total deal on them. Love your Lorax garden :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........