Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, Mom

I have been in some kind of "funk" for the past couple weeks. I think I may know what the underlying cause could be. My mom has been on my mind more so this past week, than any other time since her death. I'm not sure why. My mom died when I was 24 (she was only 44). I have been hard on my mom these 30+ years - not understanding why she behaved the way she did. I felt personally attacked by her behaviour and lack of compassion as I grew up. But she had to have done something right. And I have thought about this. I wouldn't be the person I am without her influence - good, bad, or indifferent. She gave me the gift of using my hands and I had to learn to stand on my own. We didn't have all the "fluff" as I was growing up. She made most of my clothes. She was gifted when it came to quilting, crocheting, sewing, and making ordinary crafts out of stuff we had at home. But, because of her problem, she wasn't necessarily compassionate. I understand so much more now, than then. But as a child, you can't see the "big picture". God has caused me to dwell on this quite a bit. I look back and I see where many puzzle pieces are dropping into place.
Regardless of how our parents raise us - we are ultimately accountable for our own behaviour as adults. This I know with certainty. I am sorry for the bitterness I have harboured towards her. It has been over 30 years since I wished my mom "Happy Mother's Day" and I think it is time I give credit where credit is due!
"Happy Mother's Day Mom. I love you!"
Love Crickett

1 comment:

  1. Barb, thank you so much for this post. It is so beautiful and true. So true.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........