Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Nostalgia

Nostalgia according to Webster:
1. a longing to go back to one's home, hometown, or homeland; homesickness.
2. a longing for something far away or long ago or for a former happy circumstance.

"What's this got to do with anything?", you say. Well, its no secret that my heart is in the south. I truly believe one's birthplace is part of their DNA - no, just kidding. But, it feels that way sometimes. I have been feeling quite nostalgic lately. I have resolved, since it seems I won't be making a move south any time in my near future, to embrace those things that remind me of "home". I was coming home today and as I turned off Rt. 50 towards my house I was drawn to the farmland on both sides of me. One was being harvested while the other looked like a picture out of a book. It was beautiful - green rye moving in the wind like waves on the ocean. It truly gave me that feeling of being "home". The only thing missing was a rolling hill or two! But, I CAN imagine that. I can let my mind go to that place of comfort and as a result, let that comfort me. So, I guess the thing is - see the things that comfort me - hear the sounds that lift my spirit and smell the smells of home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
i'm a wife, a mom, a mom-mom, a sister, an aunt, a cousin, a friend...i'm a child of God.... i love to read, scrap, and sew (all when time permits!)... i like trying new things, going to different places, even if only in my mind....i like simple, but life is complicated....i like spring days, snow storms, thunderstorms, and big puffy clouds you can make things out of....i like coffee, tea and iced chocolate milk you can sip thru a straw..........